Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      admin
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

Hi everyone!
      welcome to the climate forum.
      I would like to get in discussion about subjects related to sustainability and climate change. Please post some subjects that interest you and we will share our thoughts.

• #216 Reply
      Luc Jansen
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi,
      What a good idea of you to connect all ideas about sustainability and the people who stand behind them in one site! I hope more people will be active, together we can change the world

• #217 Reply
      Taha Adnan
      Up
      Down

The frequent rise of water levels in Adriatic sea has been a problem to the historical city of Venice and it’s lagoons. The government has started a project called MOSE.
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSE
      This project started in 2003 and is yet to be completed, almost 10 years lagging in schedule. Shelled out billions of euros.
      This type problem is not only endemic to venice italy but Japan, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Venice, The Netherlands, Thailand and many others.
      A research published in Nature Communications shows that by 2100, the area now occupied by 200 Million people will be below sea level. Sadly the study assumes only a global average temperature increase of 2°C and does not take into account the possibility of accelerated ice sheet melting.
      On Sundays 28th February an Iceberg named A74 about twice the size of The New York city broke and in the Weddell Sea.
      Is there any way to device a Sustainable solution for this problem?

• #219 Reply
        admin
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Hi Taha,
        nice to meet you! Are you foom italy? I’m from the Netherlands and indeed, water level rise is an upcoming treath.
        I had not yet heard of MOSE, thanks for sharing.
        Thinking about a solution, well that is complicated I think. Because as long as the earth is warming, the ice will melt. In the Netherlands we have a lot of dykes and infrastructure to keep the water out. because a large part of the country is below sea level. I suppose that these kind of structures will need to keep us safe while the sea level rises and we reduce our emissions…

• #225 Reply
        Willem
        Participant
        Up
        Down

On top of that, 75% of all of Earth’s megacities lay near a sea or ocean, and around the same percentage of all humans live in coastral areas (within 60 miles of the sea). So yeah, besides being a large problem for the environment and planet, it also is a large problem for mankind.

Of course, we can maintain building dams upon dams, but that ain’t a long-term solution. The rising water levels are such a difficult issue, exactly because it is the result of all causes leading to climate change. To tackle it, we must tackle the entirety of global warming itself, which is a pain in the ass and requires a lot of smaller ‘sub-solutions’, if you get what I mean.

• #218 Reply
      Taha Adnan
      Up
      Down

Thanks for this great initiative and let’s hope we really contribute to the environment and sustainability.

• #221 Reply
      Taha Adnan
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi admin, nice to meet you too. I’m from India, I’ll be coming to italy in this September. I’ve got admission from Sapienza University of Rome for master’s program in Environmental and Sustainable Building Engineering.
      According to Paris Convention held in Dec 2015, under the leadership of UN, 196 countries have taken up a challenge to control Global warming. The aim is to allow not more than 2°C rise in global temperature by 2100 as compared to pre industrial revolution. But sadly, many major countries have violated that and there’s almost 0.5°C rise in Global Temperature already.
      Let’s face it, global warming is real, it’s happening, and the humanity on a larger scale is failing to address and accept that.
      The Netherlands is infact doing that better than Italy and many other nations in preventing flooding. Reducing the carbon footprint is the ultimate solution. If anyone is interested in discussing on that, I’m more than happy too. Green house gases are the actual culprits. Like CFC’s were responsible in 1976 for a hole in ozone layer.
      Thank You.

• #233 Reply
        admin
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

I think it would be nice to have a conversation about reducing carbon footprint. I’ll Private message you Taha

• #235 Reply
      Taha Adnan
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Yes carbon footprint can be reduced in many ways. The change should come with in. If you guy’s are willing to join this discussion please let me know, I’ll post my POV on unknown ways how green house gases are released and ways of reducing carbon footprint at the grassroot level.

• #244 Reply
        admin
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Yes that sounds interesting! Please do share your POV.

• #248 Reply
      Taha Adnan
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Moved to a new topic.

Carbon footprint and its reality.

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Welcome!
Your information: