Home Forums Agriculture Small scale urban farming

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      UnclGreen
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hey guys,

I’m doing a little project at home where i am testing urban farming. it uses a little pump and some pvc pipes.
      I attach a picture. What do you think of it?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by UnclGreen.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #226 Reply
      Luc Jansen
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi UnclGreen,

Nice setup you got there!
      I see that you use an aquarium with two fishes. How do you know these 2 fishes produce enough feces to feed the plants with all the nutrients they need? And what do you feed the fishes? Because I cannot find a source on how many fishes can feed how many plants and which planttypes. Hope you have some answers for me.

Kind regards,
      Luc

• #227 Reply
      Luc Jansen
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi UnclGreen,

Nice setup you got there!
      I see that you use an aquarium with two fishes. How do you know these 2 fishes produce enough feces to feed the plants with all the nutrients they need? And what do you feed the fishes? Because I cannot find a source on how many fishes can feed how many plants and which planttypes. Hope you have some answers for me.

Kind regards,
      Luc

• #228 Reply
      Willem
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Nice! The potential of urban farming and its (positive) effect on climate change and habitat loss are great. Looking at your design, you could upgrade it by additionally putting a perforated plate on top of the aquarium and plant some seedlings on top of it, to have more yield.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      • #231 Reply
        UnclGreen
        Participant
        Up
        Down

Nice addition indeed! Then we use the fish tank double, because it is already used for the water that is pumped up. So by adding the perforated plate, it’s two birds with one stone

• #232 Reply
        Luc Jansen
        Participant
        Up
        Down

Good input Willem! There are many nitrogen-fixing crops, like peas, beans and rooibos. These crops can be easily used and give additional harvest. Producing your own tea decreases the greenhouse gas emission!

• #266 Reply
      Taha Adnan
      Participant
      Up
      Down

That’s a great idea to use fish as supply of nutrients, but to avoid the question of efficacy of the fishes, you can try hydroponic setup.

• #267 Reply
        UnclGreen
        Participant
        Up
        Down

True.
        I used fishes to combine pets with this system. Also one could use a larger bin and grow edible fishes. then you combine crops and fish

• #268 Reply
      Taha Adnan
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Combing edible fish!!! Great idea.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Small scale urban farming
Your information: